Tree lined streets, striking white stucco fronted houses and canalside views are just a few of the reasons why Little Venice is often regarded as one of West London’s most desirable residential areas. Situated just to the north of Paddington, where the Grand Union and Regent’s canals meet, this picturesque neighbourhood is bursting with charm. It is very easy to understand why buyers should want to find a property in Little Venice.
Property Search in Little Venice
Offering an escape from the city with the tranquillity of the canals, as well as the stunning architecture, boutique shops and independent cafés and restaurants, it is easy to see why Little Venice is such a sought-after area.
Schools in Little Venice area
Little Venice and its surrounding area has a selection of highly regarded state and independent schools. Here are a few of the best:
Primary State Schools:
Ark Atwood Primary Academy is a free school which was deemed Outstanding at its last Ofsted inspection.
St Saviour’s C of E Primary School is a popular, one-form entry primary school which currently has an Outstanding Ofsted rating.
Independent Prep schools:
L’Ecole Bilingue Elementaire is a mixed, bilingual prep school which offers the best of both English and French teaching methods. Ofsted have rated this an Outstanding school, describing the headteacher as both ambitious and inspirational.
State secondary schools:
Westminster Academy is an Ofsted Outstanding secondary academy school which is one of a select group of state schools offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme at sixth form.
Travel & Communting
- Little Venice/Maida Vale is ideally placed for travelling into and out of Central London
- Maida Vale and Warwick Avenue underground stations are both on the Bakerloo line with direct trains to Oxford Circus and beyond
- Royal Oak station is on the Hammersmith and City and Circle lines
- Paddington station offers the underground, National Rail and the Heathrow Express (Journey time 15 – 20mins to all Terminals)
- Easy access to the M40 via the A40 offering routes both in and out of London
- The London Waterbus links Little Venice by water with Regent’s Park, London Zoo and Camden Lock
Maida Vale/Little Venice are in the City of Westminster, which has some of the lowest Council tax charges in London, with Band A currently at around £470 and goes up to just above £1420 for Band H.
Close to Maida Vale tube station is the Paddington Recreation Ground, which at 27-acres, is the largest area of parkland in the City of Westminster. Recognised as a Site of Local Importance for Nature Conservation, the grounds also include tennis courts, an athletics track, artificial grass pitches, a bowling green, café, children’s play area and a gym.
For those looking for a waterside stroll, you can walk along the canals all the way from Little Venice to Camden Town via Regent’s Park. For cycling enthusiasts, there are cycle paths along this route for an easy commute or a weekend ride.
Out & About
Clifton Road offers a selection of independent cafes and shops. Sheepdrove Organic Farm Shop sells top quality organic, free-range meat owned by the farmers and environmental campaigners Peter and Juliet Kindersley. Clifton Greens is a lovely greengrocers that has been recommended by chef and restaurant owner Yotam Ottolenghi.
In the charming Formosa Street you will find the boutique, lifestyle shop, Pipa, selling clothes, gifts and other little luxuries. For food, there is Boca Cha Cha, which is a lovely quirky little place offering teas, coffee and healthy lunches in the day and a “speakeasy” style bar with wine, cocktails and tapas sharing plates in the evenings. Opened in Feb 2018, this promises to be a welcome new addition to the neighbourhood scene.
Something for the weekend
- Have a browse around Clifton Nurseries on Clifton Villas – “London’s oldest and most beautiful garden centre”. Make sure you visit their hidden gem of a café, The Quince Tree Café, which serves delicious food, juices and afternoon tea.
- Enjoy a meal by the water at one of the two canalside restaurants: The Waterway, situated at the bottom of Formosa Street, which boast a large outdoor terrace; and The Summerhouse, which is slightly further along the canal on Blomfield Road and specialises in seafood.
- Take the kids to the Puppet Theatre Barge, a 55-seat moored theatre that has been putting on quality puppet shows here since 1982.
- Enjoy the annual Canalway Cavalcade which takes place each May Day bank holiday. You can expect to see over 100 boats moored along the stretch of Grand Union Canal around Blomfield Road and Warwick Avenue, all dressed up ready for the pageant. On dry land, there will also be trade stalls, live music and entertainment for the whole family.
Our Property Guides
Read our No Place Like Home Property Guides to find out which London area would most suit your needs. Or call Harriet Rowlands on +44 (0)782 532 1564 to discuss your property search requirements.
Little Venice property prices
Average 4 bed house: £1.6m
Average 2 bed apartment: £1.03
What the locals say
“The very best part of Little Venice and Maida Vale are the gorgeous communal gardens, the most popular being Warrington Crescent. The Canal of course is a huge pull..
“The best areas to shop are Formosa Street with individual cafes and restaurants and along Clifton Gardens and Lauderdale Parade.
“For such a small area, there is the benefit of two tube stations Warwick Avenue and Maida Vale on the Bakerloo Line. Paddington Station is a 15 min walk away or one tube stop.
“Paddington Recreation Ground is a wonderful park with a running track, gym, café and tennis courts.” Karen, W9
“I love wondering along the canal, popping into shops on Formosa Street and stopping for a coffee at Toast. Clifton Gardens is a wonderful place to browse and enjoy a delicious lunch. It’s all on our doorstep plus great transport links and schools.” Sarah, Warrington Crescent W9
If you would like to find out how No Place Like Home Property Finders can assist with your Little Venice property search, please visit www.nplhome.co.uk or call +44 (0) 782 532 1564 to discuss your property search requirements.